In May 1925 the Federation of Palatinate Sections within the German and Austrian Alpine Association decided to erect a mountain hut in the Rätikon range. The site chosen was the Bettlerjoch, a mountain saddle on Liechtenstein territory between Augstenberg and Naafkopf, on the border with Austria and Switzerland. This proposal was welcomed by the Government of the Principality of Liechtenstein, which granted permission for the build in April 1926.
On 5th August 1928 the Pfälzerhütte was officially inaugurated after a building period of 113 days. In 1950, after the lodge had remained uninhabited for many years and been looted more than once, it was acquired by the Liechtenstein Alpine Association (LAV). Today the shelter, now enlarged by the addition of an annex building, is open for business continuously from June to October.
The postal administrations of Germany and Liechtenstein held a design competition for this “Germany-Liechtenstein Joint Stamp”. Joint stamps produced by two friendly countries continue to enjoy great popularity – after all they document in an agreeable way the amicable relations between two states. The present “Pfälzer Hütte” stamp (face value CHF 1.40) has been designed by Corinna Rogger of Biberach (Germany), the winner of this competition. Her design is based on a photograph by the Liechtensteiner Meinrad Büchel, made available to her on request by the Liechtenstein Alpine Association (LAV). This stamp will appear simultaneously in Germany as a Deutsche Post 75-cent stamp.