British Antarctic Territory
Recent Issues
2015
Home
Recent Issues 2015
British Antarctic Territory
"British Historic Huts"
Issue date: 17th November 2015



British Antarctic Territoty stamp 2015 Damoy Hut, Dorian Bay
(Weddell Seals)
Damoy Hut, Dorian Bay
(Weddell Seals)

The site consists of a well-preserved hut with scientific equipment and other artefacts. The hut was established by BAS in November 1973 and was used as a transit station for BAS staff and stores to be flown south from the skiway on the glacier above the hut to Rothera Research Station when sea ice prevented access by ship. It was last occupied by BAS in 1993.


British Antarctic Territoty stamp 2015 Base W, Detaille Island
(Adélie Penguins)
Base W, Detaille Island
(Adélie Penguins)

It was established in 1956 as a British science base primarily for survey, geology and meteorology and to contribute to the International Geophysical Year in 1957.

The base closed 1959.


British Antarctic Territoty stamp 2015 Base Y, Horseshoe Island
(Skua)
Base Y, Horseshoe Island
(Skua)

It was established in March 1955 and closed in August 1960. The scientific research carried out at the station included topographic survey, geology and meteorology. Extensive survey trips, often covering hundreds of miles and lasting several months, were undertaken from the station using dog sledges.


British Antarctic Territoty stamp 2015 Base E, Stonington Island
Mt. Roman Four Promontory (875 m)
(Blue-eyed Shag)
Base E, Stonington Island
Mt. Roman Four Promontory (875 m)
(Blue-eyed Shag)

Base E is of historical importance in the early period of exploration and later British Antarctic Survey (BAS) history of the 1960s and 1970s. It was established in February 1946 and had two periods of operation from 1946–50 and 1960–75 when the base permanently closed.


British Antarctic Territoty stamp 2015 Base F, Wordie House on the Winter Island of the Argentine Islands.
(Orca)
Base F, Wordie House on the Winter Island of the Argentine Islands.
(Orca)

Base F (Wordie House) is of historic importance as an example of an early British scientific research station. It was established in January 1947 and the main hut, ‘Wordie House’, was named after the chief scientist on Ernest Shackleton’s epic 1914–17 expedition. This hut also stands on the foundations of an earlier building, used by the British Graham Land Expedition [1934–37], which was destroyed (possibly by a tsunami) in 1946.


Text: Pobjoy Mint Stamp Division
Beschreibung und Bild ohne Rahmen
Beschreibung und Bild ohne Rahmen

 

British Antarctic Territory
Recent Issues
2015
Home