The Fuero de Nájera is a body of local laws originating in the early 11th century. Nájera is a town in the Rioja region, but in the Middle Ages, it was the capital of the kingdom of Nájera. Sancho III, King of Pamplona, granted it a special fuero or body of laws, which was confirmed by Alfonso VI of Leon and Castile when he conquered the city in 1076, and also later by Alfonso VII, Ferdinand IV, and Peter of Castile in 1352. This was the origin of Navarrese law and the foundation of Spanish law in general. At that date Nájera had its own coins, made in one of the first mints of Christian Spain. Print run: 210'000 (sheets of 24 stamps). (text Correos).
The composite images on the stamp show the town of Nájera surrounded by the dome topped sandstone cliffs of the Najerilla river valley that had given the town of Nájera its name. The arabic Naxara "between two hills".
The modern town is shown in colour, with the cliffs behind it in black and white, symbolising the past and the living present.