The Narva Falls (height 6.5 metres) was a waterfall on the Narva river, which forms the borderline between Estonia and Russia. The Narva Falls were located between the cities Narva (Estonia) and Ivangorod (Russia), where the river split into two branches, divided by the Kreenholm island. Thus the falls consisted of two sections: Kreenholm Falls (60 metres wide) to the west of the island and Joala Falls (110 metres wide) to the east.
Since 1955 the water has been diverted to the Narva hydropowerplant. There were flowing 400 m³ of water per second in Narva waterfall before building the dam. Today the waterfalls are usually dry, but water is allowed to flow in the original channel for up to a few days every year.
Estonia 1933, Narva Falls.
Estonia 1940, Narva Falls.