Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji
View from Honganji Temple at Asakusa
Asakusa was the most populous district in Edo (modern-day Tokyo) in Hokusai’s time. The Asakusa Honganji Temple, built in 1657 belonged to a branch of Kyoto Higashi Honganji, the headquarters of Buddhism’s Eastern School of the Pure Land (Jödo) sect.
On the image only the triangle of the roof’s pediment is visible. Looking down, one can observe the sea of roofs of smaller houses, over which decorative clouds float. Mount Fuji, above them, repeats the roof’s shape.
Antigua & Barbuda 1999
The stamp was issued in the sheet "Phila Nippon 2011".