Liechtenstein
Home
Liechtenstein
"Alpine Association: 100 Years"
Issue date: 2009

The following text was published by Post of Liechtenstein

This year one of Liechtenstein’s liveliest associations, the “Liechtensteiner Alpenverein” (Liechtenstein Alpine Association, LAV), celebrates its hundredth birthday. In this organisation, founded in 1909 as the “Liechtenstein” branch of the German and Austrian Alpine Association, the bond between the people of Liechtenstein and their mountainous homeland can still be seen today: with over 2200 members it is the country’s largest association. According to its constitution the LAV exists to promote mountaineering and the alpine sports and to provide young people and families with real-life experience of nature. Further purposes include upkeep and management of the Association’s mountain lodges, organisation of plant protection and of the route network, collaborating with Mountain Rescue in accident prevention and researching and documenting the Alpine habitat.

The stamps being issued to mark the “Alpine Association 1909-2009: 100 Years” jubilee show summit crosses as photographed by the nature and landscape photographer Marco Nescher at different times of day and in different moods. The depicted summit crosses stand on the “Langspitz” (2006 m a.s.l.,face value CHF 1.30), on the “Jahn Turm and Wolan” (2026 and 2034 m a.s.l., face value CHF 2.40), the “Kuegrat” (2123 m a.s.l., face value 1.00) and the “Rappastein” (2222 m a.s.l., face value CHF 2.20).

By the summit crosses there are usually summit books in which hikers can record their name.

 

Langspitz

The cross on the Langspitz was erected in 1952 by the Triesen Catholic Young Men’s Movement and replaced by a new one in 2005.

Rappastein

The cross on the Rappastein was erected in 1984 by the Young Musicians from Triesen.

Kuegrat
Drei Schwestern massif

The cross on the Kuegrat was erected in 1983 by the Rover Scouts from Schaan.

Jahn Turm and Wolan
Drei Schwestern massif

The Jahn-Turm (formerly also called “Kleine Schwester”) and Wolan (also “Mittlere Schwester”) form part of the “Drei Schwestern” (three sisters) rock formation which in turn gave its name to the massif as a whole. The cross on the Jahn-Turm, which can be reached only by climbing, was erected in 1986 by Hanno Batliner, that on the Wolan in 1962 by the Austrian Alpine Association.

Beschreibung und Bild ohne Rahmen
Beschreibung und Bild ohne Rahmen

 

 

 

 

 

Liechtenstein
Home